Mylan and I were channel surfing last night and saw a commercial for a new reality show called “Infested!” on Animal Planet. This particular episode will feature the horrors of living with a scorpion infestation. I looked at Mylan and said, “We haven’t seen one of those for a while.”
I should know better. It seems as if every time one of us utters those words, we see one. It’s as if they have super-ultra-sonic hearing and send a buddy out to let us know that they are still here and were here first.
So it should not come as a surprise, as I returned from taking Bonnie outside for her bedtime duties, when Mylan met me at the back door, wide-eyed. “There’s a scorpion in my bed!” she whispered, as if saying it too loudly would bring more out. I went to grab our hand-dandy scorpion annihilator (actually barbecue tongs with the edges filed so that they meet precisely together – excellent for picking scorpions off of ceilings). Then thought again and grabbed a wad of paper towels. I was sleepy, my reflexes were slow and I didn’t want to chance losing it in her bed. This way I could come at it from above with some force.
I approached her bed with the covers pulled back and there it was. Laying quite contentedly, curled up among the mint polka dots of her sheets. I held my breath and with one quick motion I came down, made contact and squeezed its exoskeleton until I felt it crunch. Next step was to get the black light and do a full perimeter search of her room to make sure that no one else was lurking to snuggle with her.
After the “all-clear” signal, she returned to her room. We surmised that it probably fell from the ceiling as we have yet to actually witness one in any of our bedding to this point. (We are careful not to use bed skirts or any covering that makes contact with the floor).
It’s always unnerving when you see these prehistoric creatures. I remember when we first moved into our house. Mylan was in the bathroom and screamed that there was a scorpion on the wall. As I just stared in horror, Evan rushed past and killed it. As an Arizona native, I had never seen a scorpion inside a house. Let alone, my house!
In the years since, we have grown accustomed to them. We all have been stung with the exception of Solvay, and (thankfully) have not had any allergic or horrible reactions to the stings. Still, I am thinking the next time the subject comes up I am going to reply. “I see scorpions all the time!” That way, if they are listening, they will know that I know they are there.