Weekend events for families: July 28-30
Here are our top picks for weekend family events! Want even more ideas? Explore our full “Family Time!” events calendar with things to do around metro Phoenix and Arizona.
1. Harry Potter’s Birthday Party. Attention all wizards and muggles: Celebrate the birthday of The Boy Who Lived (and the world’s top-selling book series) at Changing Hands bookstore in Phoenix.
2. Arizona Cardinals Training Camp open practice sessions. Admission and parking are free and younger fans can enjoy an inflatable obstacle course, quarterback toss and combine-like football drills in the Kids Zone.
3. Get Animated! at the Arizona Science Center. Understand the art, history, science and technology of animation and try your hand at it.
4. Twilight Croc Walk. Join the Phoenix Herpetological Society for its Twilight Croc Walk and see alligators and crocodiles like never before.
5. Seussical. See your favorite Dr. Seuss characters brought to life — including Horton the Elephant, The Cat in the Hat, Gertrude McFuzz, lazy Mayzie and Jojo — in this Theater Works production running through July 30.
6. Desert Botanical Garden Flashlight Tours. All ages. Bring your own flashlight to light up the trails and explore night-blooming plants and elusive animals.
7. The Little Mermaid. Tickets are selling out fast for this performance of Disney’s favorite mermaid musical.
8. Celebrate Shark Week. Explore new aquarium exhibits, hear talks from shark experts and more.
9. Learn Your Lizards Walk. Get a guided tour of Arizona’s most common, colorful and charismatic reptiles at Boyce Thompson Arboretum.
10. Rumpelstiltskin. See Great Arizona Puppet Theater’s laugh-out-loud version of the classic tale about the strange little fellow with the hard-to-guess name.