Weekend events for families: Sept. 29-Oct. 1
Here are our top picks for weekend family events! Want even more ideas? Explore our full “Family Time!” events calendar with kid-friendly things to do around metro Phoenix and Arizona.
1. Fall Butterfly Exhibit. Mighty monarch butterflies return to the Desert Botanical Garden with friends this weekend! The new exhibit explores the insects that care for and protect our desert environment.
2. The Art of Healthy Living. The i.d.e.a. Museum of Mesa’s new exhibit opens Friday and explores nutrition, exercise, mindfulness and overall wellness with art, hands-on activities and kids movement stations.
3. Free entrance day at National Parks. National Public Lands Day on Saturday is one of the 10 days this year that all National Park Service sites (more than 400 parks across the country) offer free admission.
4. Fry’s Free Weekend at the Arizona Science Center. Get free general admission this weekend courtesy of Fry’s Food Stores and explore the science center’s four levels. Plus, get $5 tickets for the giant screen theater and Dorrance Planetarium shows.
5. Lego Ninjago Days. Complete your ninja training at Legoland Discovery Center Arizona on weekends Sept. 23 through Oct. 15.
6. Pumpkin Days & Corn Maze. Tolmachoff Farms hosts fall fun all month with its six-acre family corn maze, mini corn maze for little ones, petting zoo, jumping pillow, hay pyramid, farm activities and play areas.
7. Ballet Under the Stars. Each fall, Ballet Arizona gives the community the gift of free outdoor performances. Bring a blanket or lawn chair and enjoy classical and contemporary dance.
8. The Little Prince. See this classic tale by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry come to life: A world-weary pilot whose sputtering plane strands him in the Sahara, a mysterious young prince from another planet and a host of characters who have a lot to say about life, love and wonder.
9. Goldilocks. Great Arizona Puppet Theater in Phoenix performs the classic story of the little girl who unexpectedly meets up with the three bears.
10. The Phantom Tollbooth. Childsplay performs this story of a young boy’s magical journey in the Land of Wisdom at Tempe Center for the Arts.