General guidelines about content
The theme behind Raising Arizona Kids magazine is that it be a place for sharing ideas and local resources that support the experience of raising children in Arizona. Its emphasis is on providing many viewpoints and ideas and encouraging parents to pick methods that work best for them.
Raising Arizona Kids is targeted to caring, open-minded and intellectually curious Arizona parents within the 25-59 age range. Articles should be written to inform, enlighten, challenge, support, amuse or touch these parents as they grow within their new roles, seek ways to enhance their children’s lives and face the pressure of combining careers and parenting.
The magazine is geared to parents of children from birth through high school. Occasionally we run articles about the next stages in parenting: guiding children through the college years and adjusting to an empty nest.
All submissions accepted for publication become the property of Raising Arizona Kids, Inc. and may not be used elsewhere without the written permission of the publisher.
All query letters and submissions should be sent to:
Raising Arizona Kids
5229 N Seventh Ave #102
Phoenix AZ 85013
- We work only with Arizona-based writers.
- We do not accept articles or story ideas that do not have a specific local angle. That includes product pitches.
- All communication about articles is conducted by email. Please do not call our office to check on the status of a query or submission.
- We do not review freelance queries or submissions that are being simultaneously offered to other publishers.
- We are not interested in reprinting written material that already has been published/posted online for any other publication, website or blog — including your own personal blog.
- We make every attempt possible to respond to appropriate queries within a reasonable amount of time. However, it can take several weeks for a query or unsolicited article to undergo review.
- We will not respond to submissions that do not follow our established guidelines.
Requirements for articles
Raising Arizona Kids is a local publication, intended to foster networking and support among Arizona parents and professionals supportive of quality parenting. Articles should quote local expertise and, whenever possible, local parents.
Articles should be well-researched and should conform to our standards and style. Writers are encouraged to submit queries and clips of previously published works before undertaking the work to produce an article. We recommend a thorough review of previously published work (available in our archives) before submitting a query.
Feature articles run from 1,000 to 3,000 words in length. Departmental submissions run 300 to 600 words in length.
If your article is accepted for publication, you will be asked to provide it digitally, along with the following information:
- Your Social Security number.
- Your contact information (name, mailing address, phone, cell phone, email address).
- Your children’s names and birth dates (for the bio that will appear at the end of your article), if applicable.
- The names and contact information (mailing address, phone number and email address) of any experts and/or parents you quote in your article.
All assignments to first-time writers are made on speculation. Articles accepted for publication will be edited, when necessary, to enhance clarity and/or conform to style and space requirements.
The easiest way to begin
Writers approaching Raising Arizona Kids for the first time are most apt to gain entry through our “Journal” department, which features first-person essays about the parenting experience. These submissions should be no more than 600 words in length and should focus on universal truths about the human experience that are humorous, poignant, bittersweet, insightful or meaningful.
Payment is negotiated per piece and depends on the complexity of subject, the desired length of the article and the writer’s level of professional experience and/or track record with our publication.
- $300 and up for feature submissions that are accepted for publication.
- $50 and up for departmental submissions that are accepted for publication.
Payment is made within 30 days of publication.
Most of our photography needs are met by staff but freelance digital photographs will be considered for publication with articles. All photography decisions are made by our Art Director. Payment is $25 per photo published.