Mesa-based Save the Family needs your help collecting school supplies for disadvantaged children.
Drop off items at the organization’s building, 125 E. University Drive in Mesa, by 4 p.m., Friday, July 13.
On July 21, the supplies will be used to fill backpacks at the 11th annual Back-2-School Bash. The event is sponsored by the Turnbow Foundation, which is committed to improving the lives of disadvantaged children and their families through charitable giving, academic scholarships and access to career training.
More than 300 children are expected to participate in the Back-2-School Bash and the hope is that all will leave fully equipped for the school year.
The event helps prepare children for school ”with all the supplies they need so their focus can be on learning,” said Save the Family Executive Director Jacki Taylor in a prepared statement. The organization provides transitional housing, job-search support, financial management and other services to formerly homeless families.
Age-appropriate kits will be created for primary, elementary and junior/high school students. Items needed include:
- flash drives (2GB minimum)
- one-subject wide-ruled and college-ruled spiral notebooks
- two-pocket folders in assorted colors
- construction paper
- facial tissue
- pencil cases (heavy duty, with zipper)
- washable markers
- 24-count tuck-box Crayola-brand crayons
- #2 wood pencils
- four-ounce Elmer’s washable school glue
- glue sticks
- pink erasers
- 5 1⁄4” blunt-tip (for primary students) or sharp-tip scissors
- 12-inch plastic rulers (inches and metric)
- pencil sharpeners
- yellow highlighters
- medium-point blue and red pens
- 12-count colored pencils
- wide-tip dry-erase markers
- graphing paper
- plastic protractors
- mechanical pencils
For more information about the collection drive, to donate or to host a workplace donation drive, contact Meghan Coppock, development and events manager or call 480-466-7714.