Making 3-D paper art is a great STEAM activity and a fun, creative challenge for kids. Here’s a roundup of books and websites to get started:
• “Pop-Up Design and Paper Mechanics: How to Make Folding Paper Sculpture” by Duncan Birmingham offers easy-to-follow instructions and essential rules of 3-D paper art.
• “Create Your Own Pop-Up Books” by Creativity for Kids contains templates for two pop-up books ready to be designed and decorated.
• “Pop-Up: Everything You Need to Create Your Own Pop-Up Book” by Ruth Wickings, illustrated by Frances Castle. Learn how to make a castle, a dragon, a jungle scene and Frankenstein’s lab with this combo guide and assembly kit.
• Bestpopupbooks.com, the ultra fan website for pop-up books, offers links to DIY tutorials and templates from some of the best paper artists at bestpopupbooks.com/pop-up-templates/
• On YouTube, search “how to make pop-ups,” and videos by and about some of the best pop-up book artists.